Saturday, May 5, 2012

Wind and Regret

I woke up early today, 12:30pm, yes thats early when you work nights. I had great intentions of my weekly long slow distance run getting done. I heard the wind before i even rolled out of bed. I prayed i was hearing things. I wondered out to my living room and to my horror found it was a real blower out there. Awh i said it will be fine. On went the shorts and shoes and out the door i went. My little house sits back from a main road, according to my GPS and truck i'm 1.5 miles from my favored running trail. To me its a nice warm up to ramble on to the main trail from home, the plus is i don't waste fuel driving there. I got to the end of my driveway and felt the first sprinkle of rain and the gust of wind that hit me felt like a ice cold truck! My resolve was being tested today. Now for those of you that know me you'll know that i was blessed with unusually large ears, yes Dumbo may have been related! Now i'm about 3/4 a mile into what was supposed to be a 15 mile workout and i'm feeling the wind pull me up into the air! My wings were providing lift! A mile in i was already cold to the bone and exhausted from fighting hurricane winds. I gave up, turned around and started for home. The wind was in my face on the way out so i'm thinking a tail wind will make it better on the way home. NNNOOOOO, no my luck! The damn wind shifted like a bad joke and seemed to increase in intensity 110 fold! Again the giant air brakes on the side of my head were causing lift and drag at the same time! The last 100 yards down my driveway were cold, and grumpy trudging. As i stepped onto my porch i realized the wind had stopped and the sun was peeking out! Damn you mother nature! I know i'm not the only person that has had their run disrupted by nature in one form or another. I know because i just stopped laughing from reading my friend Rachel's blog post about Honey Buckets, public restrooms and strangers bathrooms. I wont spoil it for you, read it and you'll be crying from laughing so hard! My point is even though both Rachel and i were hit in the side of the head by 'ol Ma' nature we were moving and loving it. Wind yes, regrets?? no not a one. Enjoy your runs and Ramble On my friends! The Running Geek

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! I'm so sorry! I shouldn't be laughing but I am because what is left?

    I love to run in the rain. Add wind and forget it!!! I can run in the snow, sleet, hail, rain, whatever! You add wind to the mix and I'm diving under my covers ready to wait it out and pick my toes.

    Good job for effort. You at least attempted and that says a whole lot more than those of us who don't even try.

    Monday I begin training again. I've signed up for a 1/2 marathon in June. I've had some set backs (health) and I've not been able to train. I was going to bow out but today as I watched another race here in town I thought danged if I am going to let the disease I am fighting win! I may have to walk the entire way but I am not giving this up!!

    So, Monday I'm going to try your workout program you posted and see how it goes! Rock on Skip! And may the force of nature be with ya and not against ya! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still laughing! I hate running in the rain, snow i can deal with but rain and wind seem so suck my motivation like a leech! I've had a HUGE set back in training, pneumonia rocked me for over a month, then allergies decided to kick me when i was getting up again so i'm about 2 months behind and staring at a august marathon date! If i can make it to a computer tonight i'll send you the workout, look for i between now and next thursday. I work 7 on 7 off 12 hour shifts so i am fairly short for time while i'm at work but i'll get it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Set backs stink big time!!! Good luck with your training and I'll wait for the workout. No worries. No rush.

    ReplyDelete