Friday, May 11, 2012

Protien drink tip

I'm a coffee junkie! Every morning I brew up that black drink of the Gods. Most of the time I can't drink the whole pot and i end up wasting a third of it or more. I also drink alot of protien shakes. I need a minimum of 90 grams of protien a day because of my medical issues, but as an athlete I need more. I intake through diet and supplaments about 170-190 grams per day. You might be asking what does coffee have to do with protien, bare with me I'm getting there. A huge bag of protien powder can be expensive, but makes hundreds of servings. You can buy pre-made in a juice box style protien drinks, but they are even more expensive and just about always come in chocolate or vanilla. I needed variety the other day so i had an idea. My morning coffee was done i had drank my fill and as usual I had left over. I placed the left over coffee in a jug and put it in the fridge. Today i tried this: two scoops of vanilla protien powder, 8 ounces of cold coffee and half cup of ice. All this was placed in my ancient blender and mixed. The result was an iced vanilla protien latte! It was awesome. I can't wait to try it as a recovery shake after a long slow run day or one of my speed work days. Give it a try and mix up some goodness! As usual post your comments and if you try this recipe let me know how you liked it. RAMBLE ON MY FRIENDS!! The Running Geek.

2 comments:

  1. Oh My Little Brother.... That is an old Powerlifters trick! Yes it works and its a whole lot cheaper than going to Starbucks and buying one with the added benefits of 40 Grams of protein which Starbucks will never provide. There is also a great Protein supplement on the market called Syntrax Nectar Whey Protein Isolate Powder, with this one, you can have it cold or hot which is really good. Did it for years on the Ambulance to keep up with my Protein intake.

    Love you,

    Your Big Brother

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bleck! :) No coffee here. I do buy the protein shakes from Beach Body. Yes, very VERY expensive. I also use their muscle recovery shake which I love!

    ReplyDelete